Bilingual/Bicultural Peer Support Specialist
Job Summary: Recovery Café Longmont is a community of refuge and healing for people in recovery. The Bilingual/Bicultural Peer Support Specialist has a deep understanding of the Café’s vision to be an enlightened community where people in all walks of recovery are empowered to be their best selves and works in a culturally attuned manner to nurture and maintain our guiding principles: shows respect, practices forgiveness, cultivates compassion, encourages growth, and connects with the divine love in ourselves and others.
The Bilingual/Bicultural Peer Support Specialist reports to the executive director and provides outreach and support to members of the Latinx community experiencing mental health and substance use challenges.
The Bilingual/Bicultural Peer Support Specialist is a person in recovery from a mental illness and/or substance use, and has experience working with others on their individual road to recovery. The Specialist incorporates their own recovery experience as a means of inspiring hope in those they serve, as well as providing a positive role model to others. They know the journey to recovery is real and attainable, because they have traveled the path.
Days and Hours of Operation: This is a full-time salaried position; the work week is Tuesday -
Provide Culturally Responsive Member Support
● Embrace and promote the Café’s core values of radical hospitality and loving accountability
● Communicate and enforce Café guidelines and boundaries
● Provide individualized, ongoing guidance, coaching and support
○ Assist members in increasing social support networks of relatives, friends and/or
○ Conduct New Member Introduction meetings in Spanish
○ Assist members with accessing community resources
○ Facilitate bilingual or monolingual Recovery Circles (small peer support groups)
● Advocate for members
○ Empower member leaders and create accountability for member goals
○ Work in cooperation with other providers, family members or significant others involved in the member’s recovery plan
○ Observe all rules of confidentiality and boundaries with members
○ Write letters for members for completed service work, recommendations, etc.
○ Obtain member input for improving operations
● Actively engage members of Longmont’s Latinx community sharing the vision of Recovery Cafe Longmont and welcoming new members
● Develop formal and informal relationships with community partners serving the Latinx community in order to provide bicultural community supports for members
● Advocate on behalf of persons with behavioral health issues for culturally responsive services, the protection of the member’s rights, and assist in reducing stigma associated with such challenges
● Attend Recovery Café staff and relevant committee meetings
● Align with Latinx member’s needs and work in conjunction with the executive director to develop culturally attuned programing
● Contribute content to email and printed newsletters; social media
● Manage and update Spanish language sections on website
● Perform outreach presentations in English and Spanish and represent Recovery Café to the greater community
● Attend designated community and partner meetings
● Perform other related duties as assigned Required for this Position:
● Sustained recovery from a mental illness, substance use, or both for 2 years
● High proficiency speaking, reading and writing Spanish and English
● Possess deep knowledge of the Longmont Latinx culture
● Have cultural humility and willingness to learn of others’ experiences
● Be willing to self-disclose about personal recovery journey
● Strong desire to support people along their recovery journey and paths of choice
● Must have strong interpersonal communication skills
● Ability to serve as a motivator, conflict resolver, and de-escalator for members
● Ability to accurately represent Café services and programs to other agencies
● Ability to work amicably on a diverse staff and volunteer team with flexibility, creativity and enthusiasm
● Capacity to be loving and to establish and maintain appropriate boundaries with Café patrons who at times may be very challenging
● Proficiency in basic computer skills sufficient to communicate effectively with staff and other agencies using G Suite
● Strong organizational skills
● Ability to embody principles of recovery in daily interactions
● Reliable transportation
Minimum Education, Work, and Skill Requirements:
● Education: College degree with a focus on social services, counseling, psychology, mental health and/or recovery issues preferred. Relevant work experience may substitute.
● Work Experience: 2-5 years progressively responsible work experience in a position utilizing skills relevant to this position.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
● Previous experience in a social service agency and with populations struggling with addiction and/or mental health concerns
● Addiction training or education in human services
● Supervisory experience
● Drug/alcohol counseling experience
● Experience outreaching Latinx communities
Starting Salary Range: $40,000 - $45,000 based on experience. Benefits are limited to paid time off and holidays.
Email resume and cover letter explaining how your work and life experiences qualify you for this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit our website: recoverycafelongmont.org
Recovery Café Longmont is a drug-free workplace. Candidates and employees must be able to pass a criminal background check.
332 Main Street
Copyright © 2019 Latino Chamber of Commerce of Boulder County